Discussion in 'diesel engines & drive trains' started by stepside, Feb 20, 2019.
I do 14bolt backup rear end if 10bolt blows after engine swap
I would do the GM 14-bolt swap ASAP.
Turbo Duramax will explode 10-bolt.
Save or sell the 10-bolt rearend.
With all EV Electric planned worldwide soon all gas and diesel truck parts will be hard to find.
EV will be worthless in Real Cold winters we both know 1st hand.
Die in EV.
NOT GAS OR DIESEL TRUCKS.
some progress, made fuel lines for the engine and throttle pedal wiring harness,ordered pedal and connector from rockauto but connector was wrong so had to make one,found carplayer connector with same pin phasing and used that
Old engine out
Then problems started,didin't get torque converter out,it moved in and out but stops,so i had to made puller and pull converter out ,front bushing was worn and bearing material was welded between converter hub and stator hub,still transmission worked well,i think bushing was too tight ,front pump was ok exept bushing
I swap pump and converter and clean valvepody
I test fitted duramax, engine mounts was ok ,ears was little too short but i can shim motor mounts
Front crosmember was too high so i cut it out and have to fabricate new
Allso van intake is too high i have to cut it and weld diffrend angle
Not usually an issue on 4L80E & Turbo 400 the front pump bushing failing.
I like using Babbit bearing material front pump bushings.
I buy from a seller on ebay.
On the 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4L60E last year when I rebuilt it I used a modern Teflon coated Clevite Front pump bushing.
Had it on hand.
The 1987 Corvette 700R4 I used a Clevite Babbit front pump bushing when I rebuilt it back in 2010.
Before I assemble the front pump The front half I test fit over the torque converter I am going to use.
Want about .001' -.002" clearance for oil.
I smooth polish the torque converter snout with 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper then follow up with 1000 grit for a Mirror shine.
If its tight going on I initial take a plastic headed dead blow hammer and tap the front cover placed over converter snout.
Tapping moderate the babbit lead moves slight & tight spot gone.
700R4 & 4L60E notorioius for front pump bushing failing.
Never had fail on me yet checking as I described above and making said checks and adjustments.
The torque converter pilot that goes into the crankshaft must be crap debris and burr free.
Like to test fit early on if possible.
Problems here the front pump bushing will also be wiped out fast.
The Duramax Fits & its In !
About 1990 GM started adding Thick steel support rods that bolted to the engine block on both sides to the transmission bellhousing .
Not sure what they called them exact but I call them torque support rods.
Only used on K series Chevy & GMC 4x4 Trucks.
Purpose was to prevent the bellhousing from cracking offroad.
All K series have Mega pulling power torque down Low Range on the Transfer case, Mine does.
I think you can make easily from 3/16" thick x 1.00" thick colled rolled steel yourself & add on.
Be a good idea.
They are always missing on old trucks 1990's into 2000's those support rods, mechanics leave them off.
I put mine back on.
Mine truck had that support rod but when i did swap trans and flipped 241 transfer case i had to remove it,when i did trans i was little hurry and didin't fit the bearing then under the truck i found that bearing was little tight but it was very cold weather and converter moved fine so i did think that it would work
I remember. I have to work outside alot also.
Its not rocket science stuff.
But I think those support rods are important.
I fit engine mounts and crossmember when truck runs i start to make intake ,and other small modifications ,all coolant hoses ,duramax has no heater return it's in lower radiator hose so i have to fabricate that
Aluminum or steel tubing. Splice inline with lower radiator hose.
Be best to Bead roll each end so the Hoses don't slip off in Hot Weather.
I have thin wall china stainless pipe,easy to bead roll
one more reason to own a decent welder
Made crossmember and found that engine didin't have dowel pins so i made pins
I did drop engine down few centimeters i think is now where it stays,have to make notch to oil pan sump because there is too small clearance with front axle or swap driver side drop transfer case and front axle
I took old engine bay wirin harness off it was big mess
some b+ wires burn
Have to make intake and water neck with diffrend angle so i can close the hood
Slow progress,made transmission dipstick ,power steering hoses ,fuel lines and small stuff that takes time
Fab time again.
Separate names with a comma.